Saturday, February 1, 2014

Frozen bubbles

It's been cold here.  Super cold.  It's not late enough in the winter season so be saying this, but it needs to warm up.  Despite the sub zero temperatures, I decided I'd try to enjoy the frigid temperatures by trying some frozen bubbles.  This by no means was an original idea, I've seen many many people take very great pictures much more impressive than mine, but it sure was fun! 

The bubbles are just regular bubble solution we nabbed from the summer toys.  The trick to getting them to freeze is to catch one on the wand, (or anything else you can get it to stick to, but our only success was the wand) and then just hold them there.  These were taken at night, and it was quite windy, so that was the biggest challenge. 

Like all photography, great pictures comes from great light.  It was dark, but I used a good ol' flashlight to light these.  Back lighting them by far produced the best looking images, having the bubbles between myself with the camera and the light source (flashlight) really allowed for the ice patterns to be visible.  I also took these with macro filters on my lens, because I don't have a devoted macro lens. 

We ended up poking a few to break them, which created a whole new look. 







2 comments:

  1. These are gorgeous!! I need to try this too...Great details!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cool idea. Wish I had seen this post when it was freezing here in Atlanta.

    ReplyDelete

© life through my lens. Designed by Adorable Design.